Monday, August 17, 2009

The next food network star??

Have you ever had one of those moments where you actually came up with a really good thing? Whether it be an invention, a plan for a new business, or something simple like a really good recipe, it feels so good to get that little sense of accomplishment. I can't say moments like these happen often for me. In fact, I don't remember the last time I actually came up with something I felt would contribute to the world in some small way. Well, tonight I am proud to say that it happened! You see, I love to experiment in the kitchen. I love to play with flavors that aren't combined in any recipes (that I know of...). Let me give you some background into my current situation. Aaron and I have been blessed and our needs have been provided, but we haven't exactly been eating like royalty. But on Saturday, we went grocery shopping and found some great deals. We sort of just bought a hodge-podge of "luxury" ingredients that led to no particular meal. Last night, we ate some fantastic steak and salad (both close to expiring so we got a great deal). Tonight, though, there was no turning back. Aaron said he was hungry, we went exploring in the kitchen, and "Voila!" A beautiful meal was born. It started with some instant brown rice and a bag of frozen vegetables. In 15 min, I had created a beautiful stir-fry (vegetarian even!) that was unique and delicious. I started with the vegetables and a little oil. The "moment" came when I opened up the spice cupboard (always a great idea if you're bored of the same ol' same ol'). Within 5 min, I had added garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, soy sauce, and my 2 secret ingredients: curry powder and orange juice. With no rhyme or reason, I dashed away at my new creation. While this was good, I added sweet peas and a little more spice. Delicioso! Then I cooked the instant rice in the microwave. When it came out, it seemed so bland. So what do you do with bland?? Fry it! Now we had fried rice and I added our soon-to-be-expired eggs for a perfectly Shogun-approved show. Add some soy sauce and a little garlic salt and our meal was complete. Layering the new-recipe veggies over the not-so-bland rice created a delicious dinner that cost us about $4! It just goes to show that when you think you have nothing to eat, you probably do. Give spices and fruit juice a chance! So there it is...you may be skeptical, and that's okay. The point of all of this is that I'm proud of my accomplishment. This blog is dedicated to my mother-in-law, who I can only hope to be as wonderful of a chef as she is (love you mom!). At least tonight, I think I made her son proud.

3 comments:

  1. Bon a petite! Sounds very creative and yummy. You go girl. Aaron and you are building the best memories you will have of your marriage. These are times that you have to depend on each other and the good Lord above. Precious moments and memories are born. Enjoy each other. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's not the only one who's proud. I love you too sweet daughter-in-love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a word of encouragement. When Kathy and I got married, she could make salad and chocolate chip cookies. But you can tell that I haven't starved. Keep making the memories and keep exploring the new territory. Be brave!! Proud of you sweetie. Dad

    ReplyDelete