Friday, May 29, 2009

Embarking on a new adventure

Welcome everyone! I've never blogged before, so I hope that this will be a successful first attempt. I wanted to share with everyone why I set up this blog. As I'm about to "embark on a new adventure", I think it's very important that I stay connected with my family and friends. I absolutely cannot do this alone. Aaron and I are excited about this change in our lives, but we will need your daily prayers, encouragement, and support. Some may think..."Oh they're going to Jacksonville where they can lay on those beautiful beaches all day", but I want to be very clear. My new teaching position will perhaps be the greatest challenge of my life. It will require me to put forth more dedication and energy than anything else up to this point (besides my marriage). It will be both exciting and terrifying. Aaron has supported and encouraged me through some difficult times in my life, and I know he will be there through this one, but I don't want the burden to continually fall on him. That's where you all come in. I need you to pray for us and make sure that we are showing the fruits of the spirit in our lives and especially with each other. I want to be a shining light for the students and families that I will be teaching in Jacksonville and ultimately help them see that their futures are not destined for failure. Many of the students I will be teaching will be several grade levels behind. I will be asking them not only to challenge themselves, but to prove everyone else wrong. Teach for America is ultimately about helping kids become successful in school now, so that they can learn to be successful in life. I think the outcomes will be so rewarding, but I will have to work extremely hard to take these kids who've never felt success and get them to pass the state tests on grade level. I know it can happen. I believe that it can happen. I've read about it over and over in the Teach for America files. I've seen it happen first hand at Eastside Elementary in Rogers. When the state decided that English Language Learners could no longer use portfolios but had to be tested, Mrs. Wilkerson and her amazing teaching staff took on that challenge and the scores keep going up more and more every year. Kids come to school not knowing English and living in poverty, and in 2-3 years (if not less in many cases), they're on grade level! I can't wait to take that on! While Jacksonville will be a different area with different people in different situations, I can keep my experience at Eastside in the back of my mind constantly. Well, I've officially said what I needed to say in this first blog, and there will be many more to come. I will post prayer requests on here, as well as inspiring teacher moments, or just experiences I have with Aaron in Jacksonville. And, I should admit, we will be at the beach a lot! Thank you for your love and encouragement. Come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment